Sunday 20 February 2011

Organised Chaos.....

On arrival at Exeter I flashed my official identification at the receptionist, and asked where to go.  I was sent downstairs, which consisted of a large 'open plan' type office, with a few small offices off the sides.  There seemed to be hundreds of people looking very busy, so I headed for the bosses office which was located at the far end.

I knocked the open door, and introduced myself. 

"It's a bit busy at the moment, go through there and wait in the Mess area.  Someone will be along to collect you shortly."

The Mess area consisted of a large room of tables and chairs, a small 'kitchenette' type area, and a couple of vending machines. 

I got myself a cup of (foul) tea from one of the vending machines, and sat and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

People came, and people went.  Each time someone walked in, a knot formed in my stomach in anticipation of being given some awful task, but no, I just sat and waited.

After a couple of hours the boredom really got to me.  I went for a wander.  Just off the main open plan office was a largish room.  In there, things were very chaotic.  In my mind now, ten years on, I can see that office, with one long wall covered from top to bottom with index cards, each with the name of a farm on the front.  Before long, I was literally 'shoved' out of the way and found myself back in the main open plan part of the office.  I wandered down through getting in the way of various people who seemed to be rushing around. 

A voice suddenly caught my attention:

"Hello, I know you!"

In front of my was a lady of mature years (overdue for retirement as it happens) who I knew from long ago.  She happened to be the very same person who had visited me to interview me for a Strychnine permit some years previously.

At last, a friendly face!

I explained the situation, and anxiously expressed to her my worries about where I would be staying and what I would be doing.

"Go up to that office and explain", she said.

I did as advised, and went to the office I had been directed to.  In there, I found two ladies who seemed to be very busy.  I hastily explained who I was, and asked what arrangements had been made for accommodation; "Ah, that may be a problem" one of them said.  "We've booked out all the hotels in the area, so you'll have to wait until we can find you something."

I offered to find my own accommodation; if nothing else, it would give me something to do while I waited for instruction, and my offer was very gratefully received.

I made a quick call to the hotel we were staying in at the start of the crisis.  "No problem, you can even have your old room, it's dead here at the moment".

Relieved to have at least sorted out somewhere to stay, I then set about finding something to do.

I went back to the room with all the cards on the wall.  By now, realising that the 'gentle, hang around' approach wasn't working, I walked in, and marched up to one of the ladies who looked like she was in charge.

"I've just rushed to Cornwall, collected a vehicle and driven here because I was told that my help was needed.  After spending three hours sat on my arse in the mess area waiting for someone to come and get me I've had enough.  Do you need me or not?"

The room fell silent.

"Mmmm, sorry about that", she said.  "It's too late to do anything today, so see me in the morning and we'll have something for you to do.  Have they found you somewhere to stay?"

"No.  I had to sort that myself as well."

"OK" she said.  "See you in the morning.

Tired, confused, and not happy, I headed up the M5 to the hotel.

On arrival at the hotel, I booked in and carried my bags off to my room.  Totally demoralised by the day, my next port of call was the bar.

I ordered a beer, and then another, and sat down to look at the menu.  Suddenly, one of my colleagues from the unit appeared at my side, asking for a 'word'.

"What sort of 'deal' have you done here?" he asked.

"None yet, we were staying here recently, and I think we paid £46 per night."

"Well we've done a deal, and it's for the full £55, so you need to pay the same."

"OK, fine" I stupidly said..........

No comments:

Post a Comment