Friday 18 February 2011

Report to base..........

I was stood on top of a devon bank laying a piece of hedge to block out the sheep when the phone rang.

"Is this correct that you've had slaughtering experience?"

"Yes, why?" I answered nervously...

"You're needed straight away.  Report to base today."

"To do what?"

"Get down here, pick up a vehicle and report to Exeter RSC."

"How long for?"

"We don't know.  All I can tell you is that you will be teamed up with a vet and will be away from home for as long as it takes."


That was it.  No idea of how long to pack for, or what I would be doing.  I dashed home, threw some clothes into a bag and said a quick goodbye to my wife.

After an anxious drive down to Cornwall, I found an eerily quiet unit.  My own vehicle had already disappeared, to I grabbed the keys to a supervisor van and headed off to Exeter.

I still had no idea what I would be doing, and my stomach was churning as I raced up the A30 towards Exeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment