Sunday 6 March 2011

A poem

Apologies for the late post...

There is much more to come on foot and mouth, but for today, I thought I'd share with you a poem that my wife wrote for me:

10 Years On

The farms are alive with animals again
The fields of living grass and grain
Desolate  and deserted ten years ago
Recovery for all involved so slow
Recurring nightmares
No-one cares
Having to live with those terrible deeds
A tear descends, life proceeds
Never to be the same
Coping with sadness, coping with shame
A life of anguish and regret
Will anyone ever forgive and forget?
No, we must never forget.
With every story each has a side
Emotions run high, nowhere to hide
Please, wil this ever go away?
No, it's with me 'til my dying day.

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful poem and I'm sure it will touch the heart of so many of us who I know will also never forget the events of 2001.
    Some of us are still trying persuade our own Government and others to ensure it will never happen again by changing the FMD legislation and control policy both in the UK and abroad.
    We can be FMD free if we change the law, discard slaughter as a method of disease control and replace it with on-farm PCR diagnosis followed by FMD vaccination 'to live'.
    For more information please see - http://www.warmwell.com/aboutfmd08.html
    Thank you - Jane Barribal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,

    Many thanks for the kind comments, (and the plugs), I'm sure you will be interested in some of the future posts on vaccination etc.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. a beautiful poem that brought tears to my eyes have really enjoyed hearing about your time with the foot and mouth out break and how you your team worked with compassion for the farmers and their livestock

    judi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very touched by this poem THANK YOU :(

    ReplyDelete