Thursday 10 March 2011

Self Service and a visitor

After the debacle with the guns, Tony and I decided that the only way we could make sure that we had decent guns was to service them ourselves.  We took a load of spare parts from the stores, and agreed that we would service our own guns each evening.  We also drew another Cash Special, which gave us a total of four guns; one each, and a spare each.

Contiguous culling continued, and we also did most of the infected premises.  By this time, team 13 were considered mavericks at Exeter; good at what we did, but not good at sticking to the rules.  We did our own thing, and no-one had the balls to stop us because we always produced the goods.
We didn't break the important rules.  Bio security was never an issue with us, nor was the way we dealt with farmers or animals.  What the civil servants at Exeter didn't like was the way we behaved around the office.  We helped ourselves to stores, jumped queues, parked as close to the door as we could, and failed to show respect to the senior civil servants who stalked the corridors at Exeter.

One afternoon we returned to the office early.  As we piled into the back door at Exeter, a large man barred our route and demanded identification.  Affronted by the nerve of this impostor, we all pulled out our ID badges and looked at him with disdain.

Our first stop was the stores.  We didn't know what jobs we would be doing, but needed to top the van up with various bits and pieces.  To the annoyance of the storeman, we grabbed what we needed, locust style, and piled it all up by the door ready for our exit.

The drovers started to load the gear into the van, and Nigel and I headed off down the corridor.  Suddenly, we saw some of the senior managers heading our way, and stood to one side to let them pass.  Amongst the throng of sycophants, was none other than the prime minister.  As he walked passed people he was introduced to them and shook hands.  It was a pleasure to see the look of fear on the face of the boss as she realised that Nigel and I had joined the line of people to meet the great man.  We stood there, and waited.  He came to us, and was given a very brief introduction.  Nigel shook hands with him, and I put my hands firmly into my pockets and shook my head at him.

"It's a tough job you are doing" he said as he hurried passed me.

I went for a pee, and then met the team in the mess room.  As I walked in, I saw them all giggling while Nigel told them what I'd done.

"Well, the blokes an idiot" I said.  "Who's turn is it to get the tea?"

That was it.  The PM visited, and was welcomed by everyone except me.  I didn't like him, and didn't like what was happening.

Anyway, he wasn't important.  What was important was stopping Foot and Mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment